GLYNN COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
HISTORIC GLYNN COUNTY COURTHOUSE
701 “G” STREET, 2ND FLOOR, COMMISSIONERS’ MEETING CHAMBERS
THURSDAY, AUGUST 15, 2019 AT 6:00 PM
PRESENT: Michael Browning, Chairman, District 1
Bill Brunson, Vice Chairman, District 4
Wayne Neal, Commissioner, District 3
Allen Booker, Commissioner, District 5
David O’Quinn, Commissioner, At Large Post 1
Bob Coleman, Commissioner, At Large Post 2
ALSO PRESENT: Alan Ours, County Manager
Will Worley, Senior Assistant County Attorney
Dhwani Patel, County Clerk
ABSENT: Dr. Peter Murphy, Commissioner, District 2
Aaron Mumford, County Attorney
INVOCATION AND PLEDGE
COMMISSION PRESENTATIONS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
PUBLIC HEARING – Alcoholic Beverage License
Public Hearings will be limited to 30 minutes for each opposing side, with 5 minutes allocated to each individual speaker. Comments are to be limited to relevant information regarding your position and should avoid being repetitious. If your group has a spokesperson, please allow that individual to present your group’s position in the time allocated. Your cooperation in this process will be greatly appreciated.
1. Consider the issuance of 2019 provisional alcoholic beverage license to Tony Clark for Boomers Truck Yard LLC DBA Boomers, 4411 New Jesup Hwy, Brunswick, GA. This is for provisional license for a restaurant to sell distilled spirits; malt beverages for consumption on premise. Sunday sales permitted. The provisional license does not entitle the applicant to sell alcoholic beverages until all necessary work at the premises has been inspected and approved by the County, a certificate of occupancy issued and the alcoholic beverage license issued by the License Officer. Tony Clark, licensee. (Occupation Tax/Police Chief) REPORT
Tony Clark was present at the meeting as required by ordinance. Police Chief John Powell said the applicant met the requirements for consideration of issuance of the license.
Mr. Clark presented his site plan to the Board and explained his business concept.
This item was opened for public comment, and Julian Smith and Stephen Floyd spoke in favor. Jaime Jackson, Marcie Bourland, Mark Jones, Bill Ligon, Wayne Hutcheson, and Larry Daughtry spoke in opposition.
A motion was made by Commissioner Brunson and seconded by Commissioner O’Quinn to deny the provisional alcoholic beverage license. The motion carried unanimously.
PUBLIC HEARING – Ordinance Amendment
Will Worley, Senior Assistant County Attorney, and Pamela Thompson, Community Development Director, presented the amendment. They stated that this ordinance amendment would delete the sentences stating that members shall serve for terms of four years, it deletes the words “full membership”, and it would require that the Planning Commissions have the same set of bylaws.
This item was opened for public comment, and Julian Smith spoke in favor. No one spoke in opposition.
A motion was made by Commissioner Brunson and seconded by Commissioner Booker to approve the amendment to Chapter 2-19 of the Code of Ordinances, Glynn County, Georgia, regarding Planning Commissions to delete the words “full membership” and other purposes. The motion carried unanimously. Ordinance #O-2019-05
PUBLIC HEARING – Millage Rates
3. Receive citizen comments regarding proposed 2019 Millage Rates.
Tamara Munson, Chief Financial Officer, presented this item.
This item was opened for public comment, and Jeff Kilgore spoke in favor. No one spoke in opposition.
CONSENT AGENDA – General Business
4. Approved the minutes of the regular meeting held August 1, 2019, subject to any necessary corrections. (D. Patel)
5. Approved the FY19 grant in the amount of $16,477 in federal grant dollars from the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Program (JAG) offered by the Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Assistance, for equipment for the Glynn County Police Department and amended the Police Department’s FY19 budget in the amount of $16,477. (T. Munson) REPORT
6. Approved and granted authority to the Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) to execute Phase 4 of the Gateway Initiative Project. (P. Thompson) REPORT
7. Approved an encroachment agreement with Sapelo Equipment Co., LLC, to permit existing parking spaces within the right-of-way of Peek Road adjacent to Parcel A, Emery Enterprises, Inc. Property, addressed as 110 Peek Road, Brunswick, Georgia. Parcel ID: 03-00415. (P. Thompson) REPORT
A motion was made by Commissioner Brunson and seconded by Commissioner Booker to approve all items on the consent agenda . The motion carried unanimously.
8. Consider adopting the 2019 Millage Rates for Glynn County REPORT
A motion was made by Commissioner Booker and seconded by Commissioner O’Quinn to adopt the 2019 Millage Rates for Glynn County. The motion carried unanimously. Resolution #R-20-19
9. Consider accepting the Board of Education’s 2019 Millage Rates as required REPORT
A motion was made by Commissioner Brunson and seconded by Commissioner Booker to accept the Board of Education’ s 2019 Millage Rates. The motion carried unanimously. Resolution #R-21-19
A motion was made by Commissioner Neal and seconded by Commissioner Booker to approve the amendment to the By-Laws of the Glynn County Planning Commissions. The motion carried unanimously.
EXECUTIVE SESSION/POST EXECUTIVE SESSION ACTION
The Board did not hold an executive session during this meeting.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:05 p.m.
Michael Browning, Chairman
Board of Commissioners
Glynn County, Georgia
Dhwani Patel, County Clerk