GLYNN COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
HISTORIC GLYNN COUNTY COURTHOUSE
701 “G” STREET, 2ND FLOOR, COMMISSIONERS’ MEETING CHAMBERS
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2018 AT 6:00 PM
PRESENT: Bill Brunson, Chairman, District 4
Michael Browning, Vice Chairman, District 1
Dr. Peter Murphy, Commissioner, District 2
Richard Strickland, Commissioner, District 3
Allen Booker, Commissioner, District 5
Mark Stambaugh, Commissioner, At Large Post 1
Bob Coleman, Commissioner, At Large Post 2
ALSO PRESENT: Alan Ours, County Manager
Aaron Mumford, County Attorney
Dhwani Patel, County Clerk
INVOCATION AND PLEDGE
Julian Smith spoke regarding Glynn County’s hurricane preparation procedures.
COMMISSION PRESENTATIONS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. Presented a Proclamation to Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority who has designated October 1, 2018, as Breast Cancer Awareness Day.
PUBLIC HEARING – Alcoholic Beverage License
Public Hearings will be limited to 30 minutes for each opposing side, with 5 minutes allocated to each individual speaker. Comments are to be limited to relevant information regarding your position and should avoid being repetitious. If your group has a spokesperson, please allow that individual to present your group’s position in the time allocated. Your cooperation in this process will be greatly appreciated.
2. Consider the issuance of a 2018 alcoholic beverage license to Georges Reichen Buckhead, Frederica Hospitality Group, LLC DBA Frederica Golf Club Pro Shop, 100 Pikes Bluff Dr. St. Simons Island, GA. The license is to sell packaged wine only not for consumption on premises of a retail store. Sunday sales permitted. Georges Reichen, licensee. (Occupation Tax/Police Chief) REPORT
Georges Reichen, licensee, was present at the meeting as required by ordinance. Police Chief John Powell said the applicant met the requirements for consideration of issuance of the license. This item was opened for public comment, yet no one addressed the Board.
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Murphy to approve the alcoholic beverage license to Georges Reichen Buckhead, Frederica Hospitality Group, LLC DBA Frederica Golf Club Pro Shop, 100 Pikes Bluff Dr. St. Simons Island, GA. The motion carried unanimously.
PUBLIC HEARING – Land Use
3. ZM3753 310 Old Jesup Road: Consider a request to rezone approximately 0.57 acres located at 310 Old Jesup Road, the present site of Vansh Corner convenience store and fuel station, from Local Commercial (LC) to General Commercial (GC). Parcel ID: 03-17533. Romin Patel, Vansh Holdings, LLC, owner and applicant. REPORTThe applicant has withdrawn his application; therefore, this item will not be considered by the Board of Commissioners.
A motion was made by Commissioner Stambaugh and seconded by Commissioner Booker to move item number 7 to the Public Hearing section of the agenda. The motion carried unanimously.
7. ZM3785 725 Harry Driggers Blvd: Consider a rezoning request to make a revision to amend the existing Golden Isles Gateway Planned Development, GC-34-99. The revision would allow surface mining as a permitted use within a 98-acre area for a period of up to eight (8) years. Parcel ID: 03-15739. Stewart Tate, agent, for RLF Kingsland Properties, LLC, applicant and owner. REPORT
Stefanie Lief, Planning Manager, reported the request for rezoning. She stated that two public hearing were held on the request.
The property in question originally requested that the size of the surface mining permitted use area within Parcel 03-15739 be 86 acres. The updated total of 98 acres reflects the acreage of the new access road that will be constructed from the borrow pit site to US 17, in addition to the acreage included in the original rezoning request. The actual area where borrow pit operations will occur will remain 45 acres, unchanged from the original request. The applicant has applied for a wetlands impact permit from the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and a driveway access permit from the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT). The applicant expects the permitting process to last up to nine months and the construction of the new road to last for two-three months.
Additionally, the applicant is requesting that it be allowed to temporarily use Harry Driggers Boulevard for the transportation of dirt, while the permitting process is conducted and during new road construction. It is requesting such use for a period of up to 12 months. The applicant has committed to restricting dump truck traffic on Harry Driggers Boulevard, during the temporary use period, to a maximum of 50 truckloads per day. One (1) dump truck trip is defined as one (1) empty truck entering the site and the same truck leaving with a load and exiting the site.
The recommended motion for application ZM3785 is approval with the following 12 conditions:
1. The permitted use of surface mining within the R-4 Tract of the Golden Isles Gateway Planned Development shall expire when the DNR permit for the surface mining operation expires.
2. The owner shall apply for a wetlands impact permit from the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and a driveway access permit from the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) in order to construct a new access road from the borrow pit site to US 17 within the area labeled “Permanent US 17 Access Road”.
3. After receiving permits from both USACE and GDOT, the owner will construct a new access road from the borrow pit site to US 17 within the area labeled “Permanent US 17 Access Road”.
4. After construction of the route to US 17, all dirt being transported from the borrow pit site will be carried by way of this access road, except for dirt being transported to the adjacent Carriage Gate Plantation subdivision.
5. Until September 20, 2019, the owner may temporarily use Harry Driggers Boulevard to transport dirt off-site, while the USCOE and GDOT permitting process is underway and during construction of the new access road.
6. During such temporary use of Harry Driggers Boulevard, there will be a maximum limit of 50 daily dump truck trips. One (1) dump truck trip is defined as one (1) empty truck entering the site and the same truck leaving with a load and exiting the site.
7. The owner will consult with the Glynn County Public Works Department and Engineering Support Division regarding recommended improvements at Harry Driggers Boulevard. The owner shall make all improvements located on its property deemed necessary by the Public Works Department and/or the Engineering Support Division prior to commencement of any dump truck traffic during the temporary use period.
8. All dump truck traffic exiting from the subject parcel onto Harry Driggers Boulevard during the temporary use period will turn east and travel to US 17, except for trips to the Carriage Gate subdivision.
9. The temporary use of Harry Driggers Boulevard shall terminate when the owner has completed construction of a new access road from the borrow pit site to US 17 or September 20, 2019, whichever occurs first.
10. The transfer of dirt between the subject parcel and the Carriage Gate Plantation subdivision, on days when Glynn County public schools are in session, will only occur between the hours of 8:30 am and 2:30 pm.
11. All dump trucks exiting the subject parcel with loads of dirt will be covered.
12. Surface mining as an allowed use shall terminate and expire absolutely on September 20, 2019, if the owner has not constructed a properly permitted access road from the borrow pit site to US 17 by that date.
This item was open for public comment and Steve Post, Lisa Norton, Julian Smith, Felicia Braden, Miranda Smith, and Sam Self spoke in opposition. Melinda White spoke in favor.
A motion was made by Commissioner Coleman to defer the item until the permits from DNR and EPA are either approved or denied. The motion failed for a lack of a second.
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Stambaugh to approve ZM3785 with the recommended conditions. The motion carried 5-2 with Commissioner Murphy and Commissioner Coleman opposed. Resolution #R-29-18
CONSENT AGENDA – General Business
4. Approved the minutes of the regular meeting held September 6, 2018, and the joint City/County meeting held August 21, 2018, subject to any necessary corrections. (D. Patel)
5. Approved the location agreement between Glynn County and S&K Pictures, Inc. (Warner Brothers Inc.) to allow filming in the Coast Guard area of East Beach on St. Simons Island for the movie “Doctor Sleep” subject to a usage fee of $3000 and a $5000 deposit; and authorize the chairman to sign the necessary documents releasing the security deposit when filming concludes, subject to an acceptable post-event inspection by County staff. (K. Downs) REPORT
CONSENT AGENDA – Finance Committee
6. Approved the Officials Agreement with Gold Coast Officials Association to provide officiating services for Glynn County Recreation and Parks Youth Football Games for the 2018 season in an amount not to exceed $18,000 with funding to be provided by the FY19 Operating Budget. (L. Gurganus) (FC Vote: 3-0) REPORT
A motion was made by Commissioner Browning and seconded by Commissioner Stambaugh to approve all items on the consent agenda. The motion carried unanimously.
7. ZM3785 725 Harry Driggers Blvd: Consider a rezoning request to make a revision to amend the existing Golden Isles Gateway Planned Development, GC-34-99. The revision would allow surface mining as a permitted use within a 98-acre area for a period of up to eight (8) years. Parcel ID: 03-15739. Stewart Tate, agent, for RLF Kingsland Properties, LLC, applicant and owner. REPORT This item was moved up to the Public Hearing portion of the agenda after item number 3.
EXECUTIVE SESSION/POST EXECUTIVE SESSION ACTION
The Board did not hold an executive session during this meeting.
Bill Brunson, Chairman
Board of Commissioners
Glynn County, Georgia
Dhwani Patel, County Clerk