GLYNN COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
HISTORIC GLYNN COUNTY COURTHOUSE
701 “G” STREET, 2ND FLOOR, COMMISSIONERS’ MEETING CHAMBERS
THURSDAY, APRIL 18, 2013 AT 6:00 PM
PRESENT: Mary Hunt, Chairman, District 4
Dale Provenzano, Vice Chairman, District 2
Michael Browning, Commissioner, District 1
Richard Strickland, Commissioner, District 3
Clyde Taylor, Commissioner, At Large Post 1
Bob Coleman, Commissioner, At Large Post 2
ABSENT: Allen Booker, Commissioner, District 5
ALSO PRESENT: Alan Ours, County Administrator
Aaron Mumford, County Attorney
Cindee Overstreet, County Clerk
INVOCATION AND PLEDGE
COMMISSION PRESENTATIONS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. Presentation of a Certificate of Commendation to the Glynn County Police Investigative Team for its valuable contributions leading to arrests in the murder of 13 month old Antonio Santiago on March 21, 2013. (Chief Doering)
Captain Marissa Tindale Investigator Cody Blades
Captain Jay Wiggins Investigator Shawn Strohl
Captain Tommy Tindale Investigator Bill Tomlinson
Captain Terry Wright Investigator Rod Nohilly
Lieutenant Tom Jump Investigator David M. Haney
Sergeant Ricky Evans Investigator Gerry Herndon
Sergeant Corey Sasser Investigator Resdin Talbert
Investigator David Moore Investigator Marc Neu
Investigator Stephanie Oliver Investigator Eugene Smith
Investigator Latonya Shaw Mr. Buddy Webb
Investigator Jimmie Palmer Mr. Jerry Youngblood
2. Received the Year-to-Date (YTD) Financial Report. (T. Miller) LINK
PUBLIC HEARING – Alcoholic Beverage License
3. Consider the issuance of a 2013 alcoholic beverage license to Mango’s Grill, 135 Altama Connector, Brunswick, GA 31525. The license is to sell distilled spirits, malt beverages and wine for consumption on premises of a restaurant; Sunday sales permitted. This is a new 2013 license. Armando Oropeza, licensee (Occupation Tax/Chief Doering) LINK
Armando Oropeza, licensee, was present at the meeting as required by ordinance. Police Chief Matt Doering said the applicant met the requirements for consideration of issuance of the license.
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Taylor to approve the issuance of a 2013 alcoholic beverage license to Mango’s Grill. The motion carried unanimously.
PUBLIC HEARING – Land Use
4. ZM2570 – Dungeness Drive (M) Consider a request to rezone two parcels totaling 28.65 acres from FC (Freeway Commercial) to PD (Planned Development) to allow for a travel/transportation facility with a billboard. Parcel ID: 02-00682 and 02-02240. Applicant: J. D. Satterwhite of SEG, LLC, agent for Tyler Andersen of TA Operating, LLC, owner. (D Hainley) LINK
Community Development Director David Hainley reported the purpose of the proposed rezoning is to allow for expansion of the travel trailer center and provide the ability to install a billboard on the site. This is the location of the former Goasis facility.
The Mainland Planning Commission and staff recommended approval of the rezoning. This item was opened for public comment and JD Satterwhite was present to answer questions.
A motion was made by Commissioner Coleman and seconded by Commissioner Strickland to approve ZM2570 to rezone from FC to PD. The motion carried unanimously. Resolution #R-17-13
5. ZM2574 - The Palmettos at Demere (I) Consider a request to amend a PD (Planned Development) for a multi-family development. The property is located on the south side of Demere Road approximately 1,500 feet east of its intersection with Sea Island Road. Parcel ID: 04-12024, 04-05879, 04-05820, 04-05852, 04-05853, 04-05787, 04-05994, and 04-06648. Applicant: Mary Wan LLC, owner. (D Hainley) LINK
Mr. Hainley reported this property was zoned PD in 2007 to allow a 100-unit multifamily development on 9.66 acres. The current rezoning application reduces the acreage to 9.04 acres and the maximum dwelling units is reduced to 93. There are also changes in the building and paving setbacks and modifications to the buffers.
The Islands Planning Commission and staff recommended approval of the request and recommend the developer be required to include a center turn lane on Demere Road after the 26th apartment is built.
This item was opened for public comment and Johnathan Roberts, Joey Strength and Tommy Stroud addressed the Board. James Holland opposed the proposed PD amendment.
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Provenzano to approve ZM2574 to amend the PD text, subject to the requirement that the developer install a center turn lane after the completion of 26 units. The motion carried unanimously. Resolution #R-18-13
CONSENT AGENDA – General Business
6. Approved the minutes of the regular meeting held April 4, 2013, subject to any necessary corrections. (C. Overstreet)
7. Approved a location agreement with Paramount Worldwide Productions, Inc. for the purpose of filming “Teaching Manheim” on St. Simons Island. LINK
8. Appointed the following citizens to serve on the Detention Center Reuse Committee as nominated by the respective County Commissioners.
Nominee Nominating Commissioner
Wayne Thomas Commissioner Browning
Scott Cown Commissioner Provenzano
Charlie Rinkevich Commissioner Strickland
Emmitt Nolan Commissioner Hunt
Kelly Mathis Commissioner Booker
Bob Torras Commissioner Taylor
Jeff Kilgore Commissioner Coleman
The terms will begin immediately and will expire upon completion of the Committee’s charge.
CONSENT AGENDA – Finance Committee
9. Declared as surplus the old pool restroom and concession stand and one 50’x100’ concrete pad at Selden Park and approved demolishing the structures with disposal costs in the amount of $2,000 provided by the General Fund fund balance. (FC Vote: 3-0) (B. Mauney) LINK
10. Approved the Memorandum of Understanding and issuance of payment in the amount of $10,000 to Special Olympics of Coastal Georgia in support of the local Special Olympics program. (FC Vote: 3-0) (W. Davis) LINK
11. Authorized the Recreation Department to advertise a public hearing to increase the fees charged for firewood at Blythe Island Regional Park. (FC Vote: 3-0) (W. Davis) LINK
12. Authorized the Recreation Department to advertise a public hearing to establish fees for unlimited pool passes at the Fun Zone at Neptune Park, the Brunswick Aquatics Center at Howard Coffin Park, and the pool at Selden Park. (FC Vote: 3-0) (W. Davis) LINK
13. Approved the corrections to the digest as recommended by the Board of Assessors and the Chief Appraiser at their March 7, 2013 and March 21, 2013 meetings with clarification that this does not approve a tax refund. (FC Vote: 3-0) (R. Glisson) LINK LINK
14. Approved the proposal to construct rectangular rapid flashing beacon systems at the intersections of Demere Road at Frederica Road Roundabout and Demere Road north of East Beach Causeway at a projected cost of $70,814 with funding from the General Fund fund balance. (FC Vote: 3-0) (B. Rowell) LINK
15. Authorized replacement of the storm damaged beach access at Cedar Street on St. Simons Island with funding in the amount of $10,000 provided by the General Fund fund balance. (FC Vote: 3-0) (B. Rowell) LINK
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Provenzano to approve all items on the consent agenda. The motion carried unanimously.
16. Consider awarding the bid for the Epworth Park restroom to the lowest responsive and responsible bidder, United Grounds Maintenance Services, from Glennville, GA in the amount of $164,500 with funding provided by SPLOST 4 SSI Sports Complex. (FC Vote: 3-0) (W. Davis) LINK
A motion was made by Commissioner Provenzano and seconded by Commissioner Taylor to award the bid for the Epworth Park Restroom to United Grounds Maintenance Services in the amount of $164,500 with funding to be provided by SPLOST 4 SSI Sports Complex. The motion carried unanimously.
17. Consider approving a contract for the Stripe Replacement Project on various County roads to Peek Pavement Markings, LLC in the amount of $195,097.50 with funding provided by the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) Off System Safety Program. (FC Vote: 3-0) (B. Rowell) LINK
A motion was made by Commissioner Provenzano and seconded by Commissioner Coleman to award the bid for the stripe replacement project on various county roads to Peek Pavement Markings, LLC in the amount of $195,097.50 with funding to be provided by the GDOT Off System Safety Program. The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Commissioner Provenzano and seconded by Commissioner Strickland to adjourn to executive session to discuss pending litigation. The motion carried unanimously.
Back in Session
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Coleman to adjourn executive session and enter regular session. The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Coleman to approve the executive session minutes of March 21, 2013. The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Coleman to approve the County Attorney’s recommendations regarding pending litigation. The motion carried unanimously.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:37 p.m.
Mary Hunt, Chairman
Board of Commissioners
Glynn County , Georgia
__s/Cindee Overstreet __
Cindee S. Overstreet, Clerk