Requirements for Adult Marriage License
If either of the applicants is a resident of the State of Georgia, the marriage license can be obtained from any Probate Court in any county in the State. It is not required that an applicant obtain their marriage license from the county in which they reside. If neither of the applicants is a resident of the State of Georgia, the license must be obtained in the county in which the ceremony is to be performed.
Blood Tests(Effective 7/2/2003)
Premarital blood tests are no longer required under Georgia law.
Proof of Age(Effective 7/1/2006 per O.C.G.A.19-3-37)
Both applicants must be 18 years of age or older to apply for a marriage license without parental consent.
Proof of Dissolution Of Prior Marriage
If either applicant has been previously married and the marriage was dissolved by divorce or annulment, a copy of the decree of divorce or annulment must be presented at the time of application. Applicants who have been married and divorced more than once need only provide a certified copy of the decree dissolving the last previous marriage.
- Marriage license issued to an adult without premarital certification $76.00
- Marriage license issued to an adult with premarital certification (for Georgia Residents only) $36.00.
The premarital certification must be presented to the court at the time of application in order to obtain the reduced fee. The certification must be issued in compliance with 19-3-30.1 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated in that it included at least 6 hours of instruction involving marital issues (which may include but not be limited to conflict management, communication skills, financial responsibilities, child and parenting responsibilities, and extended family roles). The couple must take the course together.
Applicants must designate on the application the legal surname that will be used after the marriage. An applicant may choose:
- Given surname or surname as changed by order of the superior court
- Surname from a previous marriage
- Spouse's surname
- Combination of given or court-changed surname, surname from a previous marriage and/or the spouse's surname
- Certified copy of death certificate for former deceased spouse
- Certified stamped copy of final divorce decree for most recent previous marriage
- Applicant's Georgia Drivers license, state issued picture identification, or a passport