Brunswick Area Transportation Study (BATS) Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP)
The Brunswick Area Transportation Study (BATS) MPO includes all of Glynn County. Updated every five years as required by Federal and State laws and regulations, the BATS MPO must develop a Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) that addresses no less than a 20-year transportation planning horizon. The purpose of the LRTP is to encourage and promote the safe and efficient management, operation, and development of a cost-feasible intermodal transportation system that will serve the mobility needs of people and freight, the system should also foster economic growth and development within the BATS MPO boundary, including the enhancement of travel and tourism. The LRTP must include long- and short-range strategies consistent with Federal, State, and local goals and objectives.
Included in the MTP is the St. Simons Island Sector Area Study. While growth is a common occurrence, roadway and transportation infrastructure improvements on St. Simons Island have not kept up with this growing pace of development. Recognizing that growth pressures have returned to the the island, including both residential and commercial developments, Glynn County has asked to emphasize a sector of the MPO area for a refined study. The St. Simons Island Sector Area Study element of the MTP will:
- Look to identify the current state of St. Simons Island's major roadways, intersections, and island access;
- Evaluate the current roadway network for the design year horizon and potential development;
- Evaluate and recommend corridor improvements given that growth; and
- Provide development mitigation strategies to help Glynn County manage future development impacts.
The BATS MPO MTP will include:
• Regional transportation goals, objectives and performance measures
• Analysis assessing the existing and future transportation system in the BATS MPO
• Cost Constrained
a. Link to Survey
2. Public Information Meeting
The second round of public information meetings will take place on March 6, 2020 at the following times and locations. Join us to review the BATS 2045 MTP project’s progress including the results of the existing conditions analysis and online survey:
March 6, 2020
1:00 to 3:00 PM
St. Simons Island Casino, Room 108
550 Beachview Drive
St. Simons Island, GA 31522
5:00 to 7:00 PM
We will have a booth in the Liberty Building (formerly Gould Motors) during the First Friday Event
1608 Newcastle Street
Brunswick, GA 31520
The presentation and maps will be posted online after the meetings are completed.The first round of public information meetings took place on December 12, 2019. The presentation materials that were presented can be found below:
- Presentation Workshop Slides (12/12/2019)
- Draft Goals and Objectives (12/12/2019)
- Memorandum about 2045 Socioeconomic Data for BATS/Glynn County (12/12/2019)
Have a general question or comment about the Brunswick Area Transportation Study (BATS) Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Metropolitan Transportation Plan? Let us know by submitting a comment.
Questions and comments can also be mailed to:
Please take our online survey and help the BATS MTP project team gather important feedback from the community in order to update the local goals and objectives as they relate to the BATS MPO transportation landscape.
Click here to complete the survey.